Harford Bridge has an interesting history – originally the Wheal Union tin mine until 1850, then used as a farm campsite from 1930 and taken over by the Royal Engineers in 1939. It is now a quiet, rural, mature park inside the Dartmoor National Park. It is bounded by the River Tavy on one side and the lane from the main road to the village of Peter Tavy on the other, with Harford Bridge, a classic granite moorland bridge, at the corner. With 16.5 acres, the park provides 125 touring pitches well spaced on a level grassy meadow with some shade from mature trees and others recently planted; 52 pitches have 16A electrical hook-ups and 12 have multi-services, five with hardstanding.
By booking in advance you may get one of the delightful spots bordering the river (these are without electricity). Some holiday caravans and chalets are neatly landscaped in their own area. At the entrance to the park a central grassy area is left free for games, which is also used by the town band, village fete, etc. While the river (unfenced) will inevitably mesmerise youngsters, a super central play area on a hilly wooded knoll will claim them. In early summer there are chicks to watch, horses to make a fuss of and the park ducks are a feature. With its own and the local history, plus its situation, this is a super place to stay.