On the outskirts of Ars-en-Ré, le Cormoran offers a quiet rural holiday. There are 97 mobile homes, many for hire, and 27 pitches of varying sizes for touring units (all with 10A electricity). A lovely new bar/restaurant serves imaginative meals and takeaway dishes all season. Being just 500 m. from a sandy beach, close to the local oyster beds and with numerous cycle paths that include routes through a nature reserve, this campsite is popular with families of all ages.
The village church can be seen from miles around, so much so that the spire is painted white with a black apex as an aid to navigation for shipping. This western end of the island is generally quiet and unspoilt, with some excellent sandy beaches, vineyards and salt marshes. At the furthest point is the Phare des Baleines, an historic monument dating back to 1854, surrounded by pleasant gardens with a museum and an older tower from 1682; the lighthouse is still fully operational and the views from the top can be well worth the climb.