Alan Rogers Review
The road from Lake Neuchâtel to Chaux-de-Fonds, which stands just inside the Swiss border with France in the northwest of Switzerland, has been greatly improved with parts to motorway standard. Camping Bois du Couvent is situated at the southern end of the town on a hilltop with splendid views (1,060 m). Most of the pitches are taken by static caravans but the 40 places for touring units, with 10A electricity connections, although not marked, are obvious. There is an open lawn for tents. The site has a pleasant appearance and tarmac and gravel roads link the terraces, some of which have shade from tall trees.
Very little English is spoken, but the warden has good tourist information available. La Chaux-de-Fonds is the biggest watch and clock-making centre in Switzerland and one of the largest agricultural centres. Completely destroyed by fire in 1794, it was rebuilt to a geometric plan. Postage stamps for Switzerland and many foreign countries are printed here. This is a good area for walking.